Current Volunteering Positions
Rural Tree Planting Supervisor – Volunteer
Location: Various locations within 1-2 hours’ drive from Melbourne
One of TreeProject’s main activities is tree planting. We started as a tree-planting group 33 years ago, and now our tree planting days have spread across Victoria, involving hundreds of volunteers each year. Rural plantings are on private farms, assisting landholders to revegetate their land.
Every planting day needs two supervisors to ensure that the plantings are carried out smoothly, giving the seedlings the highest chance of survival. TreeProject is looking for several key volunteers who can take on this role.
Rural planting supervisor tasks include:
- Attend rural tree planting days during winter and spring
- Assist the landholder in setting out the revegetation site
- Ensure approx 20 volunteers are conducting themselves safely throughout the day
- Induct volunteers on planting techniques and the plan of the planting day. This is to ensure seedlings are being planted correctly (roughly or incorrectly planted seedlings can have a reduced survival rate)
- Liaise with the landholder
- Keep the groups moving on their assigned tasks throughout the day
- Picking up and packing up tools.
Planting sites are within 1-2 hours’ drive from Melbourne, starting at 9 am and finishing by 4 pm. Plantings are on weekends as well as weekdays.
Weekday plantings have a mix of corporate volunteers and members of the community.
Weekend plantings are generally members of the community.
TreeProject is looking for several people who have experience in tree planting, or are willing to learn, and can work independently.
Potential supervisors would attend a TreeProject induction/training session and one or two planting days with an experienced TreeProject supervisor, after which they would attend planting days independently.
Susi Millton via email [email protected] or directly on 0407564317
We are looking for supervisors to start training for May plantings so get in quick!
Seed Administration Volunteer
- Maintain seed inventory
- Organise seed packing into envelopes
- Seed envelope labelling
- Update seed inventory with stock
- Place orders with seed banks
- Assist Treasurer when clarification is required regarding orders
TreeProject is a not-for-profit organisation that is helping revegetate Victoria and we are looking for a volunteer to undertake some due diligence research work on vehicle options for us.
We are looking to purchase a vehicle to be able to transport a large number of native seedlings to and from planting sites during winter.
Points to consider:
- Must be able to be driven with a car license (vehicle does not exceed 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass)
- Enclosed(no trays)
- Hydraulic lift or can a hydraulic lift be added? Costs
- Double sliding back doors or can a second sliding door be added? Costs
- Price of Vehicles
Please email [email protected]