Planning Your Order
Closing Date for Orders
The closing date for orders is 30 September but this will vary slightly from year to year.
Planning your seedling order
The following information explains points you need to consider before making your order.
We supply locally sourced indigenous seedlings grown by trained volunteers in minimum units of 500. You will need to select the provenance-based indigenous seedlings you would like grown. If you are unsure of what species are suitable for your area TreeProject can provide some advice on appropriate species, but we strongly recommend that you seek local, site specific advice from a land management professional.
Your local Landcare, Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) office, local council, Greening Australia Victoria, Catchment Management Authority, or regional seed bank should be able to advise you.
Prepare your site
You will also need to plan and prepare your site; it is vital to consider:
- The purpose of the planting – i.e. control erosion, stock shading, salinity.
- How many plants do you require?
- Ground Preparation
- Weed Control
- Who’s doing the planting? Family, friends, TreeProject Volunteer Groups/Growers
Read more here treeproject.org.au/prepare-and-plant
The following will help you plan your order:
- You can nominate your preferred time of planting, Autumn or Spring. Autumn season seedlings are ready for planting late April to June 2022. Spring seedlings are ready to plant August to September 2022
- The cost of ordering seedlings to be grown by TreeProject volunteers is $220 per order of 500 seedlings. This will provide you with 14 boxes, (a minimum of 500 seedlings)
- To be a self-grower of your seedlings the cost is $210.00; we will supply the materials for you so you can do your own growing, TreeProject will also provide you with training
- Orders must be made in multiples of ‘500’ (14 boxes), each box containing a single species. You will need to order 500, 1000, 1500 etc.
- We are committed to using local indigenous species so please order only those species that are indigenous to your area. We will not grow unsuitable species. If you are planting on salt affected land, please contact us to arrange a special order which may include salt tolerant species not native to your area
Landholders have 2 options for acquiring seed:
Option 1 Collect your own or order the seed from the seed bank and post the seed to TreeProject with your details attached
Option 2 For a $70.00 fee per 500 seedlings TreeProject can order and supply the seed for you
- TreeProject will source seed from regional seed banks with the closest practical provenance
- Seed banks have limited availability of some species, so it is recommended you get your order in early to avoid disappointment
- For more details regarding options for seed please see: treeproject.org.au/landholders/sourcing-seed
PLEASE NOTE: We cannot grow Winter and Autumn germinating species due to our Summer growing season and some other species that have low viability or are grown from cuttings.
- Our minimum order is 500 seedlings which is 14 boxes
- Seedling orders are 1 species per box. That is 48 tubes of a single species
- An order for 500 seedlings consists of 14 boxes – each containing 48 forestry tubes. This equals 672 tubes – which is 500 + 30% extra to accommodate for loss during the growing season
- Our volunteer growers propagate 7 boxes each. In the end each grower needs 5½ out of 7 boxes to meet their quota of 250 seedlings. Many growers do very well and deliver all 7 of their boxes giving you extra seedlings or making up for a possible shortfall experienced by other growers
Reference for species identification:
Native Trees and Shrubs of South-Eastern Australia By Leon Costermans
Reed New Holland ISBN 1 876334 64 9
Place your TreeProject order
- Complete the online order form stipulating species required and quantity (no. boxes per species)
- You will have the option to select seed provided by landholder or TreeProject to provide seed. We will get in touch to confirm your order and discuss alternative species selection if necessary.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about your seedling order. Email [email protected] or call us on 03 9650 9477